1. If two solutions have unequal concentrations of a solute, the solution with the lower concentration is called
2. Cyanide binds and impairs one of the molecules involved in the production of
ATP. Which organelle does cyanide act upon?
3. How are the phospholipids arranged to form the plasma membrane?
4. Name which macromolecules are polymers?
5. The oxygen utilized in cellular respiration finally shows up as what?
6. Hydrogen bonds between different parts of the polypeptide chain result in which level of protein structure?
7. One of the relationships that exists between ribosomes and lysosomes is what?
8. A disaccharide, such as maltose, consists of two molecules of glucose linked
by what type of bond?
9. What is rich in unsaturated fats?
10. A type of transport of a solute across a membrane, up its concentration
gradient, using protein carriers driven by the expenditure of chemical energy is
known as what?
11. Osmosis can only occur if water travels through the what?
12. The energy released in the mitochondrial electron transport chain is used to
transport protons into the what?
13. The organic non-protein components that aid in enzyme functioning are
14. Placing celery sticks in fresh water will make them more turgid and harder.
This is because why?
15. If the
of a reaction was -31.45 kJoules, you would know what?
16. In an experiment described in a chemistry lab book, the directions state
that after mixing the two chemicals (A and B) and waiting 5 minutes that A will
be oxidized. This means what?
17. Since membranes are relatively impermeable to ions, most of the protons
re-enter the matrix by passing through special channels in the inner
mitochondrial membrane. Because of the inward flow of protons these channels
allow the synthesis of what?
18. Microtubules and microfilaments are the primary components of the what?
19. The temperature is raised slightly above the optimum for a specific enzyme.
What would you expect to observe as a result of the change in temperature?
20. The type of diffusion that is specific and passive, and which becomes
saturated if all of the protein carriers are in use is what?
21. If you were an anaerobic bacterium and needed to harvest energy, which of
the following would be your best option?
22. You have identified an enzyme that appears to be involved in the addition of palmityl group (a fatty acid) to certain proteins. Knowing that palmitoylated proteins are usually targeted to the plasma membrane, in which organelles might this enzyme be expressed?
23. Relatively small organic molecules with a central carbon atom which is
bonded to a carboxyl group, an amino group, a carbon containing group, and a
hydrogen atom are called what?
24. Cytochromes contain a heme group similar to that in hemoglobin. The iron
atom (Fe) in the center of the group can be oxidized and reduced. If someone was
suffering from iron deficiency anemia, which stage of cellular respiration would
be most affected?
25. The sites where molecules other than substrates bind in an enzyme to alter
its activity are called ____________ sites.